The Post and Courier
Provide hands on leadership and supervision for the Press and Packaging Departments. Ensure deadlines are met, expenses controlled and quality maintained / improved. This includes managing all press and packaging personnel including night shift staff. This position reports to the Press and Packaging Manager.
- Works with the Press and Packaging Manager to supervise printing and packaging operations. This position is the number two leadership position for the Press and Packaging department.
- Will be responsible for leading press and packaging night shift operations and at other times as required.
- This position is the lead supervisor on night shift responsible for managing personnel, operations and production schedules.
- Staff supervision including recruiting, coaching, training and motivating staff.
- Makes sound decisions ensuring production is flowing as efficiently as possible to meet deadlines. Including reaching out for assistance when required.
- Understands and makes proper communications decisions ensuring the correct information is passed between shifts, departments and management.
- Works with Press and Packaging Manager to develop and implement methods and systems to efficiently operate the department.
- Ensures quality control in all areas of production. Meets or exceeds scheduled start and finish times as well as waste goals.
- Assist with managing inventory, supplies, invoices and budgets for both pressroom and packaging and distribution.
- Fosters a safe work environment, leading by example and ensuring proper employee safety training, equipment and attitude. Ensures all company policies are followed.
- Understand and implement all safety requirements as outlined by company policy, OSHA and any applicable safety guidelines. Maintain clean, safe work environment.
- Able to adapt to change and handle other essential duties as assigned.
- Back-up for Press and Packaging Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Three to five years production management/supervision work experience. Press Room management required. Manufacturing, operational, repair supervision and industry change management a plus. College degree or former military experience a plus.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to assess and improve equipment operational efficiencies.
- Good mechanical abilities able to access, troubleshoot and determine safe solutions to deal with equipment issues.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Works well in a collaborative team environment.
- Must be able to work flexible work schedules including nights, weekends, holidays and various shifts
- Supervisory experience required in the newspaper or printing industries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must solve day to day problems in manufacturing environment quickly.
- Must analyze problems/solutions and respond accordingly.
- Must communicate with work force, management and community.
- Must work with various levels of vendors, public, co-workers, subordinates and upper management professionally.
Must be able to endure the rigors of a Manufacturing environment. Lifting, carrying, walking, pushing, pulling, stooping and seeing operational environment activities.
- Physically able to stand on feet eight to ten hours a day and maintain a steady pace
- Must be able to walk, bend, use hands and fingers to handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, twist, stretch, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities include color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work in close quarters in a noisy environment
- Ability to work with machine that produces newsprint dust
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibrations.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs., push 350 lbs., bend, stoop and climb
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities