The Journal Scene
Overview: This position gathers and writes a variety of news and features stories across a variety of topics and works to engage community in innovative ways. This reporter should be comfortable covering an ongoing news story as they are writing a great feature story or diving into a regional enterprise story. This position provides content for online and print platforms on varying deadlines.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- General assignment reporting of news around Berkeley County on all news platforms — print and digital.
- Produce quality reporting and writing of community news with a local, local focus on events and issues.
- Shoot photos to illustrate stories. Create videos to accompany stories and as standalone reports.
- Promote stories through social media.
- Cover local government, create feature packages, write profiles of local people and chase breaking news using a variety of engaging writing styles.
- Produce occasional enterprise and long-form as assignments as well as features for our collection of periodicals and special sections.
- Qualified applicants will have a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and have at least a year’s experience working in a newsroom.
Applicants must provide examples of published work that demonstrates enterprise reporting on a community level. The right candidate must demonstrate how they asked questions, followed a hunch or pitched good ideas that became published material in newsroom environment. Applicants must have the self-discipline, drive and time management skills to juggle daily assignments, with the diligence and ambition to tackle thoughtful enterprise pieces.