Post and Courier
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This part-time position serves as the editor for Lowcountry Parent, a popular monthly parenting magazine published by The Post and Courier. The editor coordinates, assigns, writes and edits content for the magazine, proofing pages before final output. The editor is the leader for social media channels including Facebook and Instagram, posting frequently and responding to readers’ inquiries. This position also oversees the lowcountryparent.com, posting and updating content on a regular basis. The editor maintains weekly Family Fun blog and promotes column online.
- Assists with marketing efforts and event marketing
Occasional weekend work dates are required for special events—including Lowcountry Family Expo, Mom’s Choice Awards and cover shoots.
Takes the lead on large annual projects—including summer day camp guide, Lowcountry Parent Models Programs and more
Performs other duties as assigned by management
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Experience in magazine or newspaper production required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have proven ability to write and edit to AP style, work with freelance team
Must be highly organized and have proven record working successfully, efficiently, and calmly under deadline.
Creativity, positive customer service attitude and flexibility are key attributes.
Must be able to work on a Mac and PC and be skilled with production software such as Word, InCopy, InDesign and Photoshop.
Physical Requirements, Work Environment and Travel:
- Regularly required to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time. The job requires reaching with hands and arms, bending and stooping; light to moderate lifting of 15-30 pounds. The job requires hearing, speaking and writing with close eye work on a computer screen.
- The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is often subject to outside environmental conditions.
- Some travel may be required.
Lowcountry Parent, an award-winning monthly publication distributed throughout the tri-county with a readership of 105,000-plus.