POSITION DESCRIPTION: Evening Post Industries seeks a staff writer and reporter covering University of South Carolina athletics for Spurs & Feathers, the official publication of the Gamecock Club. Write and report news stories and in-depth features for both website and weekly/monthly print publication. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and produce a high volume of copy on a wide variety of sports. This position is based in Columbia, SC.
• Write in a clear, concise manner using AP style, good news judgment and a strong sense of what makes a compelling story for our audience.
• Must be able to work independently, cultivating contacts and developing quality story ideas.
• Must be a team player, working on a small staff and demonstrating the ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• Produce deadline news stories and game stories on a variety of sports and events.
• Must have strong interview skills and be able to produce athlete profiles and in-depth features for weekly/monthly print publication.
• Must have strong communication skills and develop a good rapport with coaches, players and university officials, always representing publication in a professional manner.
• Must have experience working online and assisting with editing and publication of editorial content for website.
• Assist with editing, proofing and production of editorial pages for weekly/monthly print publication.
• Must be proficient in social media.
• Knowledge of University of South Carolina athletics preferred.
• Some travel required.
• Perform other duties as requested by management.
Requirements and experience:
• Four-year college degree in journalism or communications.
• One year of daily newspaper and digital media experience or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Write clear, concise copy with correct grammar and punctuation and style.
• Strong knowledge of sports, including familiarity with most NCAA Division I sports.
• Ability to multi-task and write intelligently about a variety of sports and topics.
• Strong news judgment with ability to recognize compelling story ideas.
• Knowledge and experience working in digital media environment, including social media.
Physical Requirement: Work will be both in an office environment and also will include time in the field, possibility of working in times of hot, cold and inclement weather.