POSITION DESCRIPTION: The managing editor combines the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. The managing editor will suggest story ideas and see them through to publication. The managing editor oversees associates and assistant editors for publications and websites of Aiken Communications, including the Aiken Standard and North Augusta Star. The managing editor of these multiple platforms will direct and teach the news team to engage with the community and build sources.
- Plan and manage daily operation of news gathering, and digital and print publishing
Coach and supervise staff
Collaborate with staff to determine issues’ content and topics
Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors and follow through with packaging the stories and delivering them across multiple platforms
Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, photographers, etc.)
Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
Resolve issues as they arise
Attend events on behalf of the company and build relationships with community leader and resources
Other duties as assigned by management
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field
Proven experience as managing editor or relevant role
Proficiency in English
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and leaderships skills as well as problem-solving ability
Working knowledge of online publishing platforms
Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
Excellent organizational and leadership skills
Outstanding communication and people abilities
Reliability and efficiency
Attention to detail
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds per safety policy.
- The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to outside environmental conditions.
Local travel is required.